Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Why I hate monopolies!!!

Paying my water and electricity bills this morning reinforced my utter dislike for monopolies. Thinking I could take advantage of the time of the month, when there's likely to be less congestion at the Antigua Public Utilities Authority (APUA) branch on High Street, I traipsed in a few minutes after 8 a.m.

A number of people also had the same idea, but I was not overly worried thinking it would not take too much time. After a few minutes standing in line, I realised that only two cashiers - one for the general public and the other for senior citizens and pensioners - were open out of a total of eight (8). From the mutterings around me, it came to my attention that the paying public were not happy with this particular situation as some of them were trying to pay before heading in for work.

I noticed an APUA supervisor scurrying in the background, but no one came forward to tell John Public what was causing the delay. A few people left the queue not wanting to raise their employers wrath by arriving late for work. It eventually transpired after listening in to another customer asking the cashier what was happening, that their computer system is down.

This brings to the fore the importance of communicating with the public and promting good will. A notice at the entrance could have prevented some customers from wasting their time in line and eventually leaving or at least prepare them for the delay.

Am happy to saw I didn't give up and a few minutes before the hour of 9, I paid my bills; however, I still don't like monopolies!

No comments: